Skip to content. | Skip to navigation

Piazza Garibaldi Square

Piazza Garibaldi Square

The heart of Cervia Nuova, Piazza Garibaldi includes, one in front of the other, political power and spiritual authority: the Municipal Palace and the Cathedral.

This square is in the historical centre of Cervia and its origin dates back to the birth of the New Town in 1697.

The Piazza, originally built using pebbles from the river, was the community and religious centre with the two most representative buildings standing one in front of the other: the Municipal Palace and the Cathedral. The main road which divided in half the square in a North-South direction, called Via Romea, connected Porta Ravenna with Porta Cesenatico.

The Municipal Palace, built between 1702 and 1712 as Priory Palace, was designed in a simple and plain style by Francesco Fontana, son, student and work associate of Carlo Fontana, one of the most influential architects in 18th century Rome.
Its public function was highlighted in the central section through the porch covered by a gable symbolising deity, which in the plan corresponded to the entrance hall, on the side of which there were two monumental staircases and a public hall on the first floor. On both ends of the building there were two wings orthogonally positioned in respect of the main section, creating a courtyard which was never completed.
Francesco Fontana was also contacted for the new urban plan by the Cervia City Council after Girolamo Caccia, the architect who had initially followed the work, had to resign due to a serious attack of malaria.


Where: Piazza Giuseppe Garibaldi, Cervia

Filed under:
Chiudi menu
Tourist Information